A New Mexico licensed dental hygienist may apply for certification as a collaborative practice dental hygienist if the hygienist meets the following criteria:
- Completed the Application for Certification for the Collaborative Practice of Dental Hygiene available online;
- Possess a current New Mexico dental hygiene license in good standing;
- Have been engaged in the active practice of dental hygiene as defined in 61-5A-4(B) of the Act for not less than:
- 2,400 hours of active practice for the past eighteen months;
- A total of 3,000 hours of active practice and has been engaged in active practice for two of the past three years;
- Meet the educational criteria for licensure in Section 61-5A-13 (A) of the Act;
- Have 15 hours of continuing education in clinical dental hygiene in the twelve (12) months prior to certification, which includes courses in infection control and medical emergencies;
- Has an agreement with a Consulting Dentist as defined in the Rules.
For information regarding additional requirements, refer to the New Mexico Statute and Rules.
For an application and further information, contact:
New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care and the New Mexico Dental Hygienists Committee
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Rd.
Santa Fe, NM 87504-5101