A New Mexico licensed dental hygienist may apply for certification to practice
without the supervision of a dentist if the hygienist meets the following criteria:
- Completed New Mexico Dental Hygiene Committee Application for Certification for the Collaborative Practice of Dental Hygiene, signed and notarized with the application payable to the New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care;
- Possess a current New Mexico dental hygiene license in good standing;
- Have been engaged in the active practice of dental hygiene as defined in 61-5A-4(B) of the Act for not less than:
- 2,400 hours of active practice for the past eighteen months;
- A total of 3,000 hours of active practice and has been engaged in active practice for two of the past three years;
- Meet the educational criteria for licensure in Section 61-5A-13 (A) of the Act;
- Have continuing education in clinical dental hygiene in the twelve (12) months prior to certification, which includes courses in infection control and medical emergencies;
- Has an agreement with a Consulting Dentist as defined in the Rules.
For an application and further information for New Mexico, contact:
New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care and the New Mexico Dental Hygienists Committee
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Rd.
Santa Fe, NM 87504-5101
For further information regarding requirements, refer to the New Mexico Statute and Rules at: