Temporary License

It is possible for clinical educators or public service dental hygienists without a New Mexico license to obtain a Temporary or Public Service License for a 48 hour period, six months period or twelve months period with the following qualifications:

  • Graduation from an Accredited Dental Hygiene Program;
  • Passed the National Dental Hygiene Board;
  • Hold a valid license obtained through a clinical examination in another state or territory of the United States;
  • Six and twelve month applicants must pass the Jurisprudence Exam *;
  • Must have a New Mexico licensed dentist or dental hygienist sponsor;
  • The 48-hour license is necessary for Clinical Educators that provide hands-on courses.

* The six and twelve month licenses are for Public Health Dental Hygienists to practice in state institutions, public health clinics or public health programs approved or maintained by the New Mexico Department of Health. The temporary license holder is restricted to work exclusively in the institution or program named on the application. Temporary licenses may be renewed one time.

It is possible to obtain a presumptive public service license for up to 72 hours to participate in a charitable project approved by the dental hygienists’ committee.

For information regarding additional requirements, refer to the New Mexico Statute and Rules.

For an application and further information, contact:

New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care and the New Mexico Dental Hygienists Committee
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Rd.
Santa Fe, NM 87504-5101
Phone: 505-476-4680
Fax: 505-476-4545